The second version of our Le Voyage Dans La Lune (A Trip to the Moon) inspired joint birthday party was hosted in northern Minnesota. We wanted a party in Chicago and a party in Minnesota, so all of our friends and family would have a chance to celebrate, especially to celebrate our daughter’s first year!
I wanted to keep the ambience of the second birthday party as close as possible to the first. To recreate the dramatic black chalkboard in the Heritage Littles space (the venue of the first party), I incorporated several chalkboards (drawn by myself) and black tablecloths with “chalkboard” paper runners. Guests were given chalkpens at the tables, so the could “Plan Your Voyage”. I also hung a large black tablecloth as the backdrop for the instant camera photo area and for the illusionist show. A great benefit of throwing a party with family is everyone wants to get involved in fun ways. My wonderful nieces practiced and performed an illusionist show for the big day! They did an absolutely terrific job! We wanted to included an illusionist show, since Georges Melies (the director, producer and writer of the 1902 silent film) was an illusionist. Melies used many theatrical effects within the film, which made it extremely innovative for it’s time. Innovation is something I LOVE! Who doesn’t!?
Another fun activity we had at the second party was a smashing cake for our daughter! Every 1 year old needs a chance to get messy and eat cake. She had been a very timid eater and never really went wild with the smashing cake, but it was still fun to see her taste and enjoy the moment!
I loved having this party! It was a gorgeous day to be outside and such a fun celebration with family and friends. We ended the day’s activities with a bonfire, some sparklers and a little stargazing. It was truly a stellar birthday celebration!
In case you missed it from the first party, here is the film that inspired my party design:
Components + Credit
- Graphics + Signage
- Fabric + Sewing
- Decor + Serveware
- balloons –Aitkin Flowers & Gifts
- paperware – Meri Meri Toot Sweet
- gold fruit cups – Inspired Little Parties
- fruit cup bamboo forks – Island Bamboo purchased from Aitkin Flowers & Gifts
- gold straws – Urban Outfitters
- gold moon stirrers and dessert toppers – Pink Poodles Deux
- cardboard moon – Aitkin Flowers & Gifts
- gold compass –Aitkin Flowers & Gifts
- spaceship + moon drawing – Emma Catlin
- [solopevach]. (2012, August 6). Le Voyage Dans La Lune (A Trip to the Moon) – 1902 [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUAD4lKNDI8