I have put together a little list of fantastic Mother’s Day gifts. Since I love baking, I thought it made sense to share a baker’s dozen of gifts. Occasionally, I think… do I really need a lavish day to celebrate something that has brought me so much joy? Later, as I am comforting my sick toddler who is puking in a bag I am holding who previously puked all over the house while my baby screamed hysterically from the crib… I think, YES! I need a day to celebrate what I am and all the awesome things I do. I need a break. I would like recognition. I want a yearly celebration for growing, birthing and nurturing these little beings. It is a beautiful thing to celebrate a mother. A truly beautiful thing.
Generally, my husband is not good at planning celebrations or gift giving. I think there are probably a lot of people out there like this. If you are a parent, you probably don’t have the time to be thinking of gifts! In either situation, this list will be helpful. Just cater it to the personality of the mother!
- A SURPRISE! Even though I have a list of what I would like for Mother’s Day… wow, it would be so great if I received an unexpected gift from the heart. I know you can do it… dig down really deep! What brings me joy? What brings me happiness? What are my shopping habits? Wrapping it in some stellar gift wrap is always a nice touch, too! -image: minted.com
- Makeup sets. I enjoy doing makeup. I wear it a lot. It makes me feel somewhat prepared for the day. Complete makeup sets are great. I can complete an entire look without thinking about it. As a mother, I usually like natural, light, fresh palettes. Bring a photo to the makeup counter, tell the makeup artist what I look like. They will be able to help! -image: bobbibrowncosmetics.com
- A sparkly, whimsical piece of jewelry! I rarely wear jewelry these days, so when I do wear it I want it to be fun and sparkly. I also like jewelry that is easy to use. I don’t have time for clasps, clips, etc… A long necklace I can throw over my head, a ring, or a bracelet large enough to slip over my wrist are the only things I am interested in with small children. They can go on and off easily and quickly! -image: katespade.com
- A planned activity with the kids. I actually would be happy with something as simple as finger painting. I love art projects and would love to do one with the kids without the responsibility of prepping and cleaning. There are art studios that offer this type of activity you pay for, as well. -image: qbrushes.net
- A Shinola watch. Watches are trendy right now, but as a mother I have been wanting a nice one. It is not always easy to take out my huge phone to check the time when I am wrangling two littles at the park! -image: shinola.com
- Comfy pajamas that double as cute loungewear. Sometimes you end up wearing your pajamas a little longer then you want to when your mom. It would be nice to feel stylish in those moments. Plus, shopping is not as fun as it used to be… things tend to slide. It would be nice if someone helped shop for my wardrobe, since I do all the wardrobe shopping for the entire family! -image: anthropologie.com
- Hip sneakers. I walk a ton with my kids. We are always walking to the park, to lunch, to coffee, etc… The best shoe for the job is sneakers. -image: superga-usa.com
- A beautiful card with meaningful words. Don’t just say “you are the best” and the like, dig deep and figure out what you appreciate most. Specific examples, etc… Those are the most meaningful compliments. What about a poem? -image: riflepaperco.com
- Time to myself. I want to celebrate Mother’s Day with the beings that made me a mother, but I also want an opportunity to refresh. To be my best, I need breaks. Examples of what you could say to your lovely lady: How about you go peruse the local shops with a latte, while I play with the babies? How about you go work on some of your projects in the office, while I take the kids to the park? Why don’t you sit on the deck and call your mother, while I fix the kids a snack? How about you enjoy this picnic I packed, while I occupy the kids with a game of catch? -image: stitchchicago.com
- A luxurious body product with the words “butter” or “soufflé” in it’s description. Little treats like this during a busy week go a long way for external and internal soothing. They provide moments of luxury, which are so appreciated! -image: bluemercury.com
- All meals and snacks planned, prepared and cleaned up by someone else. Cooking and eating become very difficult tasks when you have children. It would be nice not to have that stress for at least a day! -image: thebristolchicago.com
- A floral ARRANGEMENT. Please do not buy cut flowers wrapped in paper unless you plan on trimming and arranging them. I love getting flowers, but I don’t want to have to assemble my gift. There are highly skilled professionals that do a marvelous job at that. Use them! -image: pistilandvine.com
- A salon or spa treatment. This could also be a part of #9. A little pampering and relaxing are always a safe gift for a busy mother! -image: civello.com
See! That wasn’t so hard! Lots of gift ideas that I hope will inspire your plans this Mother’s Day.