After hosting our Four Course Italian Dinner Party for adults + toddlers, we decided to scale it down a little for our next event. I LOVE paella and it had been forever since we had made it… a Spanish Paella Party was decided upon! Paella makes a perfect dish for a large party, it can be prepped ahead of time and in the oven (or on the grill/outdoor fire) as guests arrive. You can also make any quantity you desire, the more guests – the larger the paella pan!
We decided on one of our favorite recipes, a shrimp paella served with a mouth-watering red pepper sauce. A great crowd pleaser! I also decided to make empanadillas for something a bit more kid-friendly. Basically baked dough stuffed with cheese or cheese and jamon. So yummy and easy! Great for adults and children. The children also enjoyed cheese, crackers, fruits and (of course) dessert!
My tablescape originally was to be white (inspired by white stucco Spanish architecture), but as the weather started to cool, I couldn’t resist incorporating a little more color and warmth. Copper and orange were a main element of the tablescape (inspired by terra-cotta and the metals of Spain). To contrast the warmth, I used the obvious choice of blue (inspired by the gorgeous Spanish coast). The mix of bright colors gave the space a festive and inviting vibe… a perfect set-up for a casual paella party!
Since the food and table were so simple to prep and execute, we had a lot of time to really enjoy our guests and (obviously) run after toddlers when needed! Being a parent of small children is extremely challenging and exhausting. It is so great to occasionally embrace the craziness and make it into a party the parents can really enjoy! My husband and I loved a fun night of sharing delicious food and crazy kids with our friends, who also have two little ones!
Components + Credit
- design – Erin Catlin
- pics – Erin Catlin
- table linens – Anthropologie
- recipe books – The Foods and Wines of Spain + Paella!
- first course: Cheese Plate + Tapas
- pickled – mixed, seasoned olives
- meat – Jamon Serrano
- cheese – 1605 Manchego, Rosa Maria goat cheese
- fruits – grapes, pears, oranges
- nuts – Marcona almonds
- artisan crackers
- tapas – cheese + serrano empanadillas (recipe from Penelope Casas’ The Foods and Wines of Spain)
- Mercat Brut Cava sparkling wine
- second course
- Shrimp Paella with Salmorreta Red Pepper sauce (recipe from Penelope Casas’ Paella!)
- Bengoetxe Getariako Txakolina white wine
- dessert course
- Delicious cupcakes brought by our guests!!