Unicorns are EVERYWHERE lately!! I could not resist having a unicorn theme for my children’s second and fourth joint birthday party! To give my party clear direction and a unique concept, I decided to transform my home into a Cloud Realm where winged unicorns and friendly dragons soared. My kids obviously loved the idea!
Cloud Realm Decor
Guests were greeted by chalk clouds on the sidewalk surrounding our home… guests were indeed entering into the Cloud Realm. Inside, I placed drifts of white tissue pompoms on the floor and floated clear balloon bouquets to resemble clouds. Lucky for me my home is painted a soft white, which lent brilliantly to the feeling of being in the clouds. The space was airy and bright accented with fun iridescent and sky-colored party elements. Inspiration for the party decor came from the Empress of Fantastica’s palace in The Neverending Story. I know I will be revisiting that inspiration for another party down the road… I love that movie! Unfortunately, it is still a bit too scary to watch with my little ones.
Cloud Realm Food
The nostalgia of unicorns made me start thinking of wafer cookies, a favorite treat of mine growing up. The perfect placement for the party… in a soda float! Kids were loving the wafer cookies. I think we need to have them at every party. We also had a gigantic cloud cake baked by Alliance Bakery. My favorite local bakery for cake. Delicious! My husband and I were so excited to use our kitchen in our new home for the party. With help from family, we cooked a Mediterranean meal. I selected Mediterranean cuisine, since it has such a beautiful and whimsical appearance… perfect for the Cloud Realm! Oh yeah, not to mention because it is tasty! My husband always has to have a signature cocktail at our parties. His selection this year was a spiked sangria topped with Cava named Cortez the Killer. Sign me up for that cocktail anytime! So good with that little bit of sparkle (my favorite). Stay tuned for another post featuring the yummy food.
Cloud Realm Activities + Games
Parties are always so crazy, but I did manage to have a few somewhat structured activities for the kids. The first was a unicorn and dragon hunt. This quest to find the unicorns and dragons was the entire purpose of the party. The invite read:
Once upon a time a magical realm above the clouds teemed with dragons and unicorns. Mysteriously, they vanished… fly forth with Ansel & Thea to fulfill their birthday wish of finding these mythical creatures.
A unicorn and dragon (my mom and I wearing masks) were hidden from the children. They were each given a spyglass, which was also their party favor to search for the unicorn and dragon. The kids really seemed to love the activity and were impressed with the masks, which they could wear around if they wanted. I had constructed the masks using a template from Wintercroft Masks… they took about four hours each, but were absolutley stunning and surprisingly durable! My kids are still playing with them! Wintercroft Masks = works of art!
The other major activity (besides singing “Happy Birthday” and cake) was a Cloud Toss. The goal was to toss the water balloons back and forth without breaking them. The kids hurled those balloons everywhere and anywhere, which was way more fun!! I had coloring sheets and a Cloud Catch (a bubble machine) for the kids, as well. These were barely touched… my kids’ toy bins were much more appealing! Ha!
We had so much fun in the Cloud Realm. It was casual and crazy and so uplifting. We were so excited to share our new home with family and friends with such a whimsical party!
Components + Credit
- Design + Pics – Erin Catlin
- Tableware + Decor + Activity Accessories
- ombre paper plates, napkins and cups – Meri Meri
- cutlery, straws – Meri Meri
- iridescent tassel garland – Meri Meri
- metallic dragon and unicorn drink stirrers – Jenn and Jules Designs
- ombre hand dipped birthday candles – Knot & Bow
- floral centerpieces – sourced from Pistil & Vine, designed by Amanda Catlin
- unicorn + dragon masks – Wintercroft, assembed by Erin Catlin
- gold spyglasses – Aitkin Flowers & Gifts
- coloring sheets – unicorn by Printable Fantasy, dragon by Geeky Bat Designs
- holographic letter stickers – Meri Meri
- Games + Activities
- unicorn + dragon hunt
- adults wore masks and hid from children who searched for them using spyglasses (their favors)
- cloud toss
- the goal was to toss balloons back and forth without breaking them, but kids just ended up throwing them at anything and everything… so much more fun that way
- unicorn + dragon coloring sheets
- cloud catch
- a bubble machine was blowing bubbles for kids to catch throughout the party
- lomo’instant photos
- unicorn + dragon hunt
- Deviled Eggs with Preserved Tuna and Cumin Salt – recipe from The New Mediterranean Cookbook
- Cucumber & Yogurt Salad with Dill, Sour Cherries and Rose Petals – recipe from The New Mediterranean Cookbook
- Classic Hummus – recipe from The New Mediterranean Cookbook
- Goat Cheese & Date Tarts with Carmalized Onions and Thyme – recipe from The New Mediterranean Cookbook
- Charcoal Grilled Chicken Skewers in Ancient Arab Spices – recipe from The New Mediterranean Cookbook
- cheese + olive platter
- pitas – Sanabel Bakery
- sausages + hot dogs – The Chop Shop
- chilled beer, iced coffee, sparkling water and chocolate milk
- Cortez the Killer sangria – recipe from Northstar Cocktails